Notifications
Clear all

Has Real Horror Lost its Way?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@krueger)
Topic starter

I don't mean in the entirety, but a lot of recent horror movies seem to be trying too hard. I miss the days when the stories were solid and the scares were real. Atmosphere is everything in this genre.

Posted : 03/03/2021 11:52 am
(@hard2scare)

In a way. I think the Japanese and Korean producers need to offer up more titles to even it out. Those are at least slightly scary, usually. Come Play was pretty decent though, to be fair.

Posted : 03/03/2021 2:47 pm
(@arachnia)

To a point I also agree. That being said, there are still a few recent movies that give us a little hope like Don't Breath, Gretel and Hansel and Possessor. Don't lose all faith just yet.

Posted : 03/03/2021 3:02 pm
Mysteryamber
(@mysteryamber)
Trusted Member

What has happened is that gore has taken the place of proper suspense. We have such great technology that allows us to make realistic killings without harming a soul. But sometimes we don't need to see all that to feel the horror of it.

Posted : 08/09/2022 9:26 pm
(@nazzy)
Eminent Member

Perhaps, they are trying to over carry in their productions which is why it seems like they are losing their way. 

I'm looking to see what they can do with Two Witches. It's supposed to be released next year. 

Posted : 12/10/2022 3:06 pm
 Zuby
(@zuby)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @mysteryamber

What has happened is that gore has taken the place of proper suspense. We have such great technology that allows us to make realistic killings without harming a soul. But sometimes we don't need to see all that to feel the horror of it.

You're very correct about how the use of gore graphics to blast all over horror movies now. It's more like the only the producers deem viable when producing horror movies which is so wrong. It's just killing, killing and killing.

Posted : 09/11/2022 6:18 pm
(@phabbyfundz)
Trusted Member

I really feel that there are still horror movies made in recent times that are worthy of watching, though I don't always recall the names of Movies I have watched but I know I have seen some really interesting movies made recently.

Posted : 10/11/2022 2:05 pm
Dori
 Dori
(@dori)
Trusted Member

They are definitely doing their best in my opinion. Although, I'm not going to rule out the one's that are fully blown rubbish they produce too.

For example, I watched The Shadow Hunters the other day and it was a total crap of a horror movie. 

Posted : 15/12/2022 4:16 pm
(@shortie)
Trusted Member

Yes, I do feel to an extent they have lost their way which is a shame. I feel because so much has been done in the past on horror movies that worked well, looking for new ideas that would have the same effect is getting less and less easy or they are instead taking old ideas that have been used and they are trying to do them again but slightly different and it just doesn't have the same effect anymore like it did the first time. 

Posted : 22/12/2022 11:48 pm
(@chibu)
Eminent Member

I would say that it's not all horror movies that's produced in a way that shows horror have lost its way. Yes, it's true we see so much gore in horror movies now but there's a lot of horror being released that's full of suspense too. Take for instance, The Exorcist and The Pope's Exorcist were great horror movies. 

Posted : 18/05/2023 2:03 pm
Share:

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.